As I consider what my 2014 resolutions will be, I ask myself if resolutions are really worthwhile? I mean, I feel like I aim for the same things every year. Good health. Do x, y and z. Achieve a, b and c.
Sometimes I achieve them, or check the box. Sometimes I don’t. But when I look back at this past year, while I didn’t do some of the things I set out to do, I achieved so many more things that were entirely unplanned. I never set out to write a book, and yet I did. Is it the best book ever written? Probably not, but it makes me laugh, smile and gave my the creative kick that I needed at the right time.
I learned to play the guitar. Correction. I learned to play one song on the guitar. I’m a goal oriented person, so as soon as I learned that one song, that was it! I was done. I could beat myself up about the fact that I can’t remember which chord is which, or that I spent hours learning to play just one song. But, I’m not going to. It was fun. It was a challenge. Resolution be damned, I achieved some of it.
So, what does 2014 hold in store?
1. Aiming for the best health every day – this doesn’t mean juicing like a madwoman or going cold turkey on sugar. It does mean that I will strive for the best and be happy with what I achieve. Never, ever beat yourself up. Tomorrow is a new day fresh with no mistakes in it. And finally, health means many things: physical, mental, financial and marital.
2. Edit book number one and finish writing book number two.
3. Participate in two 10km runs. Timing doesn’t matter, but I will complete them.
4. Spend more time with friends and family. Work is just that, work. There’s a time and a place for it, and that’s 7:30 – 5 Monday to Friday. Otherwise all bets are off.
5. Be kind to myself. Don’t let stress get to me (hello, number one?) and try to squeeze every last ounce out of life.
So, cheers to 2013 and all the beautiful moments it brought me. Welcome 2014 and all the excitement and moments yet to be discovered.