Ah, the Calgary Stampede. You either love it or you hate it. There’s rarely in-between. Personally, I’m a HUGE fan, albeit I’m less attuned to country music, but can fake a good two-step.
There’s the rodeo, the midway rides, the superdog show, the music and…. the food. In recent years, the Stampede food list has gone from the traditional (picture corn dogs, funnel cakes, mini donuts or lemonade) to the bizarre (think fried butter, fried pickles, fried cheesecake and scorpion pizza).
Each year the vendors try to out-weird one another in hopes to create the biggest talking point.
Which of the 2015 Stampede Food items am I willing to try? Let’s see:
- PB&J Funnel Cake – Seriously, what does PB&J NOT go well with? *crickets*
- Churros with ginger sugar – Since I’ve never had churros EVER… I feel like there’s no better time to start.
- Jurassic Pork Mac and Cheese – Sweet Jesus this sounds like a religious experience. I’m in!
- Chocolate dipped bananas – This counts as healthy Stampede fare, am I right?
- Donut Grilled Cheese – You’re taking two of my favourite things and melding them into one sinful combo!!!
WHAT WILL I NOT TRY?:
- The Dragon Dog – The mother of all hot dogs coming in at $100. There’s beef, lobster, bratwurst, cognac, truffle oil… you name it. Not sure I’d invest $100 for the bragging rights.
- Cockroach Pizza – if I didn’t try cockroach in Asia, I’m hardly stepping up to the plate at Stampede.
- Red Velvet Chicken Strips – They just look too fake to be appetizing.
- The Ogre Cone – If I wanted 4L of ice cream, I’d run to the grocery store.
- Jalapeno Lime Fudge – Just… why?
So, we’re all different. The foods that I salivate over, you might not. What would you try? The list is much longer than what I’ve provided, so I suggest you check it out.
What’s on your must-eat 2015 Stampede Food List?