Wait, we won a what? In case you don’t know what a Liebster Award is (because I certainly didn’t know!), it’s an unofficial award given to bloggers by bloggers, recognizing blogs with roughly 200 or less followers. It’s sort of like a chain letter, and while I don’t typically like chain letters, the whole point of the award is to recognize good writing and to open your readers to new writers in turn.
So, thank you to David and Alexis from Roses on The Road for the nomination! They’re a pretty awesome couple that blog about their travels as newlyweds living around the world. My David and I had the great opportunity to meet up with them on our recent visit to Chiang Mai.
To accept a Liebster award you need to:
- Post the award on your blog.
- Thank the blogger who presented this award and link back to their blog.
- Write 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 11 bloggers who you feel deserve this award and who have less than 200 followers.
- Answer 11 questions posted by the presenter and ask your nominees 11 questions.
11 Random Facts about Girl Tries Life
1. Once upon a time I was a synchronized swimmer. Yep, I painted my hair with stinky gelatin.
2. I spent a magical couple of years working at a quirky hotel on the west coast of Scotland. It may have provided inspiration for my Girl Tries series of novels.
3. I still don’t know what I want to be when I grow up.
4. I spent six weeks as an au pair on the French/Swiss border. It wasn’t quite right for me, but it’s an experience I’ll never forget.
5. I have an idea for a reality t.v. themed novel – gotta put my years of “research” to good use.
6. My favourite book is called Eve Green by Susan Fletcher… and I still don’t know why. It’s something to do with the descriptions, the mystery and the true feeling that I’m in Wales. I have read that book so many times.
7. Confession: I took a screenshot of the time Sophie Kinsella favourited, retweeted and responded to my tweet about the Mavens of Women’s Fiction. I was pretty chuffed!
8. I believe that friendships can be formed in a short space of time and maintained years later. A certain South African couple I count as dear friends. We don’t see each other often, and we equally suck at staying in touch via email, but whenever we catch up in person it’s magical.
9. A day without coffee for Girl Tries Life is a truly terrible day.
10. I have thrown myself out of a plane, but would never bungy jump. Don’t ask. I can’t explain it.
11. I like lists. I’ve just finished my 30 before 30 list which I’ll be publishing on this blog on December 7th.
Now to answer the questions posed by Roses On the Road.
1. What’s your pet peeve?
People being rude! Small things like being late and not apologizing for it, or spritzing yourself with obnoxiously pungent perfume on a 5-hour bus journey. Drives me crackers.
2. Sweet, salty, sour, or savory snacks?
Sweet. Always sweet.
3. Where’s your happy place?
The Isle of Arran. I smile every time I step onto that ferry. Hope to get back there in 2016. Otherwise, it’s probably my bed. David says I can live in bed. He’s probably right.
4. What’s at the top of your bucket list?
I’m currently doing the top of my bucket list – backpacking Southeast Asia. It might take me some time to figure out the next biggest bucket list item.
5. Do you have a lucky number?
If I had to choose it would be 7. I was born on the seventh, but I’m not superstitious about it.
6. What’s the last song you listened to?
Take Me Home by Cash Cash.
7. Would you rather never be able to leave your home country again or never be able to go back?
Never be able to leave. Canada is such a large and amazing country. If I could never leave it, I’m sure we could spend the rest of our lives exploring it’s many oddities from sea to sea to sea.
8. Ocean or mountains?
Um… I’m from the Rockies. Mountains!
9. If you could only have one country’s food for the rest of your life, what would it be (e.g. Thai, Mexican, Italian, etc.)?
Greek. Hummus. Pita bread. Souvlaki. Lamb Kleftika. Om nom nom.
10. What’s your favourite movie?
Hmmm… that’s a tricky one. Too many favourites in this category. At a pinch I’ll choose Roman Holiday.
11. Would you rather, for the rest of your life, only be able to eat iceburg lettuce, or throw up violently every time you ate (but you can still drink water and juice without throwing up)?
Urgh… awful question! I suppose I’ll go for iceberg lettuce. The feeling of being sick is the WORST! Bye bye chocolate.
My nominations of 11 bloggers.
So, here’s the thing. I can’t choose blogs based on the number of followers that they have. 200 is such an arbitrary number, so instead, I’m choosing blogs that I regularly read. Some are new, some are very established. I know… I’m breaking the rules, but rules are made to be broken.
1. Anxiety Ink
4. Dee Van Dyk
10. See You Soon
11. Oh She Glows
I know, I broke the rules. So sue me. Hope you enjoy discovering blogs that may not be new, but are new to you.
My questions for these bloggers:
1. What are the top 5 countries on your “must visit” list?
2. Favourite book?
3. Favourite movie(s)?
4. If you could run your own business, what would it be? If you already do, what is it?
5. If you had to be on a reality t.v. show (told you I’m sickly obsessed), which one would it be?
6. What one activity/sport have you always wanted to try, but haven’t yet?
7. Favourite mode of transport?
8. Where’s your happy place?
9. What do you do to de-stress?
10. Favourite online recipe? Please share link.
11. What one thing can’t you live without? (not a person
And… this is probably the longest post that I’ve ever done. Thanks again to Roses on the Road. If I could re-nominate them, I would. Check out their adventures.