Welcome to Day 5 of 21 Days to Kick Start Your Best Life on the Girl Tries Life podcast.
Today is all about getting a little bit more creative. Making and investing time in creative pursuits is actually good for your health! It can improve your mental well-being, self esteem, make you more relaxed, energize you, and it can also contribute to the pinnacle of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs – self-actualization.
But today… I’m all about making creative pursuits a fun and easy addition to your week.
Day 5 Challenge
1. Set aside 30 minutes this week for a creative pursuit.
Stuck for ideas? I’ve started a little list below so that you can get some ideas.
- painting (in the podcast I talk about EASY paintings of subway maps – look up!)
- making up stories (share them with your kids!)
- sewing (clothes, cross-stitch, embroidery, knitting)
- colouring (maybe pick up an adult colouring book)
2. Reflect on how your time spent creatively made you feel.
Were you energized? Did it leave you relaxed? Knowing the impact of creativity will help you incorporate it into your life on a regular basis. Think about if you’d want to incorporate more creativity into your life, and if so, how you’re going to do it. Make sure you take into consideration how it made you feel and how timing it appropriately could benefit you.
3. Share what your creative activity on social!
Tag me @girltrieslife (Twitter, Insta), or follow the Girl Tries Life FB Page and share it there. Tag your pictures with #girltrieslife21 so we can all cheer each other on.
Naturally, I’d love it if you’d subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or Podbean, but only if it’s adding value to your life.
Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. A go-to guide for anyone interested in creativity but fear judgement (self imposed or otherwise), pressure or critics.
This is a great article by Psychology Today on Everyday Creativity and its benefits.